Saturday, July 29, 2006

True Grit

I am once again blogging on my Treo. Inspiration often eludes me when I'm planted at my desk, but is abundant as I move through life.

Right now I am at my kids belt test. They both take Taekwondo and are testing for red belt.

The adults just finished their part of the test which includes, for most belt levels, board breaking. One lady, a green belt, had a hard time. Many times it will take a few attempts to shatter a board, but rarely more than 3 or 4. Today this lady tried to break the two stacked boards probably 20 times before Master Kim finally reduced her to one board.

I have more respect for that lady than for anyone else here today.

It took a massive amount of grit and determination to keep kicking. It took tremendous inner strength for kick number 10...number 11...number 12...number 13..and on and on with a roomful of family, friends and fellow class members looking on.

Training that inner spirit is a big part of martial arts training, the most important part if you ask me. How many times in your life have you needed to break a board without benefit of power tools?

How often though, have you needed to find it within yourself to try one more time? Have you ever had to overcome defeat, discouragement and embarassment to keep moving toward a goal?

It will be her example I will talk about with my kids long after I've forgotten everyone else who broke boards today..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home