Friday, July 14, 2006

Why?

I am here at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort in Tucson Arizona. I am attending a seminar about the changing industry of the Travel Agency.

It is a lovely hotel, the accomodations are top notch. There were more pillows on the bed than even I could sleep on at one time. Very very nice facility.

What puzzles me, though, is why would someone go on vacation here?

Arizona is a desert. It is forecasted to be 107 degrees here today. That's no typo...one hundred and seven degrees. Nice weather if you're a biscuit. Granted, this isn't the prime time of year to be here. During winter months, when it is frigid in other parts of the world, it should be downright delightful here.

Weather notwithstanding, I can't understand why someone would come on vacation here rather than go to Mexico or in the Caribbean at an all inclusive. Let me explain.

Airfare to Tucson from Dallas is about the same as airfare to Mexico, even including the tax. The room rate at the hotel varies wildly based on the time of year. During the peak times of year you can expect to spend somewhere in the $200.00-$300.00 dollar per night range, not including tax.

Then, once you arrive, the expense really starts to add up. This resort isn't within easy distance to other restaurants, so unless you either rent a car or hire a taxi you will eat at a hotel restaurant. I suppose the food is good enough, but the prices are HIGH! You can expect to spend $30.00-$40.00 dollars per person per meal, not including tax or drinks. I surveyed the room service breakfast menu and you could spend $20.00 per person easily.

They have a great looking kids club here. For a mere $65.00 per day per kid, your kid will have a great time.

I stoppped by the spa. As you can imagine, there are a wide variety of wonderful spa treatments available. The price are 30-40% higher than you would pay for the same treatments at a spa in Mexico. For instance, just a run of the mill 50 minute massage will set you back $125.00.

I haven't been able to see how much the drinks (alcoholic or non alcoholic) cost that seem to be consumed in copious amounts by the pool. I strongly suspect that would add quite a bit to the tab as well.

Even if, after you add all these items up, the cost was similar to an all inclusive resort in Mexico, the psychological process of having to spend spend spend constantly would be draining. I believe, however, that if you added everything up that Mexico would once again be proven to be an outstanding value.

Not only is it a great value, but the people are exceedingly friendly and welcoming. The service is usually outstanding.

I think I'll head to Mexico next weekend! (I really am, I'm going to Puerto Vallarta with my sister next weekend.)

More Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home