Sunday, November 16, 2008

Airplanes

If there were actual walls around the personal space that belongs to each passenger in economy class on a flight, it would be considered cruel to actually expect a person to stay there. On my recent flight from Paris to Chicago the audio jack didn't work at my assigned seat. The flight attendant moved me to another aisle seat, much to the chagrin of the older gentleman who occupied the adjacent window seat. He was slanted across both seats when I arrived and never fully moved himself to occupy just his seat. I spent most of the nine hour flight with his leg pressed up against mine.

At one point in the flight I felt something on my arm. When I looked, I discovered that the gentleman behind me had removed his shoe and was using the armrest between the older gentleman and I to rest his foot. His sock clad toe was resting on my arm. Where else is that socially acceptable? Why is that okay on an airplane?

Why don't the economics of providing a somewhat comfortable space in which to travel work out so that it is actually possible to afford? It can't ALL be blamed on fuel costs.

Someday when I run an airline......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home