Saturday, October 17, 2009

Vitamins

What you see here is what it looks like while I'm in the midst of preparing the vitamins for my family to take each week. My journey with vitamins started at the suggestion of a doctor I used to see regularly (she is no longer in practice). I started vitamin supplementation on and off and consistently noticed that I felt better, more focused and energetic when I was "on" as opposed to when I was "off". So, I began taking them very consistently.

Then, this last spring I started researching if perhaps other people had results with nutritional supplementation and ADHD symptoms. Both of my kids are on ADHD medication and the main side effect is loss of appetite. Especially for my son, this is troublesome. My daughter seems to regain her appetite pretty quickly in the afternoon, but my son is as skinny as a string bean. I work very hard to get him to eat, but when he is on his meds it is very difficult.

So, I found some information about Omega 3 fatty acids and ADHD. I started giving them each a multi vitamin and a fish oil capsule morning and night. I had also read about B vitamins and vitamin E with ADHD also. So, I give them those as well.

I didn't want to leave Philip out of the fun, so I give him the multi vitamin and fish oil as well.

This fall I learned about Vitamin D and Influenza. So, we each take a vitamin D supplement daily as well.

The kids are still on their ADHD meds, but so far this year they are on lower doses. For instance, my son is on half the dose he ended last year on. I don't know for absolute certain that it is due to the vitamins and fish oil, but I know that it sure isn't hurting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home