Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Making Christmas Merry

I am considering the purchase of an artificial, pre lit Christmas Tree.

I was raised by parents who always (at least when I was growing up) got a real Douglas Fir tree each and every year. Even when we lived in Alaska and real trees were quite expensive. I have made it a habit to get a real tree every year. Most of the recent years have found me actually up at a tree farm cutting down our real tree. I love the experience, I love the smell, I love the authenticity of the imperfection of the tree. So, why am I considering going fake this year?

Lights.

I hate putting lights on the tree and taking them down. Hate, hate, hate it.

I'm not one generally to avoid an unpleasant task, but this year I am looking for ways to make Christmas happier. Ever since my mom died 5 years ago Christmas has been pretty much a bummer for me. Some years have been more than a bummer.

I've been giving it some thought. I guess what I really considered a perfect Christmas was for my family of origin to all be together and to eat the wonderful Christmas meal that my mom cooked. Getting my whole family together is almost impossible on Christmas now. For one thing, there isn't a house in our family big enough to house us any more.

So, it's time to re-frame Christmas. I have noticed that I am happier at home than away at Christmas. I'm trying to think through the role that gifts play in how I feel about Christmas. And, I'm trying to remove the unpleasant things and make new Christmas memories and traditions.

Oh, another change I'm making this Christmas? I have other radio stations ready on speed dial on my car radio for when the KLTY Christmas wish comes on. I'm sure it says something horrible about me how much those Christmas wish segments bother me, but I HATE them!


What about you? What makes Christmas happy for you?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Like you, family makes my Christmas. Between Paul and I we have 10 siblings plus all their various spouses and almost 20 nieces and nephews living here in the area as well as Paul's parents and my Mom. All holidays are loud and chaotic and I LOVE IT ALL!
We went with an artificial tree a couple years ago, but we add the old style, big bulb lights we had on our tree as kids. We found that we are typically pretty busy this time of year and watering the tree was something we forgot to do. Artificial trees are much more forgiving of that!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home