Sunday, November 01, 2009

My Mom

Today was Day of the Dead or El Día de los Muertos It's a big celebration in Latin America, and I wish it was celebrated more here. I think it's a great holiday. If I weren't getting ready to leave in 6 days I would have driven up to my mommas grave up in Denison to visit and make sure everything is in good order. It's just a little too far though and would have taken the whole day.

So, this blog post is my celebration of Day of the Dead. My momma was born January 11, 1941 and passed into glory on May 15, 2004. She was magnificent. She loved extravagantly and I am particularly blessed to have known her. She was graceful, even at the end when she suffered through the ravages of the disease that took her.

My momma was the orbit around which our whole family rotated.

One of the things they do on Day of the Dead is make the deceased favorite foods. My moms favorite foods include pecan pie, fried chicken from Churches, and supreme pizza.

Another thing they do on this day is pray for the deceased. According to my beliefs, there is really nothing left that my mom needs prayer for. Her eternal destination is already sealed and she is with Jesus. What I can pray, though, is a prayer of thanks.

"Dear Lord, thank you for the life of my mom. Thank you that she knew you and is now with you and that I will see her again. Thank you for the peace she had with dying because of Jesus."

Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fabulous Terrah said...

Amen. Beautiful picture. Beautiful post.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home