Monday, December 07, 2009

What bugs me about the KTLY Christmas Wish

I mentioned before about how the KLTY Christmas Wish really bugs me.

For one thing, it seems like many of the people featured have just made one disasterous choice after another and that is what lands them in the situation to start with. It's like listening to a 60 second recap of a train wreck. I have pondered my reaction at length though, and now believe that this is not what primarily makes my hair stand on end while listening.

It occurred to me while listening the other day that what really bugs me about those segments on the radio is the lack of dignity for the person receiving the help. So many times it's a business person bestowing the help on the person and it's almost like a commercial for the business. The radio host proudly announces the name of the business, then they reveal the gifts to the usually weeping person one by one in such a way that it is almost reminiscent of the old Ronco commercials. "...And that's not all folks!"

I really do believe that Christmas is all about helping others. I mean, what we're actually celebrating is God bestowing on us help when we'd made one disastrous choice after another. God, however, didn't go on the radio and parade his help in front of everyone. It happened in a small town, in a stable. Even though he'd been giving hints since the beginning of creation, he only announced it at the time with a star. Word got out, though.

In fact, now he relies on us to spread the word. He isn't trying to boost Arbitron ratings by the help he gave us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home