Thursday, December 14, 2006

Inside the Bottle Syndrome

As I mentioned before, I'm reading Waiting For Your Cat to Bark. On page 30, the authors introduce a concept called the "Inside the Bottle Syndrome".

"On a day-to-day basis, we are all wrapped up in the most pressing needs of our jobs or businesses. And the needs most pressing, unless we have direct contact with customers, are the ones right in front of us at the moment."

I am very glad, that even after 18 years of owning this agency with Philip, I am still in daily contact with customers. It is challenging, balancing being available to work with customers while still keeping up with building my websites, marketing them, raising my kids, training our staff, sleeping.... Challenging, but also exciting.

I do encounter people within this industry (and I am not even talking about other agents or agency owners) who are so far removed from the consumer that they really don't understand the impact of their actions on the consumer. One of our vendors seems to have challenges in keeping their booking system working properly and consistently. They don't seem to understand that when a consumer is ready to book..they're ready to book now and if I can't book with this particular supplier, I still have to find a way to deliver NOW.

One place I do struggle with the "Inside the Bottle Syndrome", is in advertising...particularly Internet advertising. I've been doing this for so long that I don't know what consumers search for when they search for trips. What search terms do you use for the various types of trips? What do you expect to see on a page when I'm advertising a certain deal?

Anyway, that's enough rambling thoughts for the evening.

More Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home